BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 24, 2009

Meet Tattie Tats







1. What is your craft of choice, and how long have you been doing that?

I currently create one of a kind ladies' hair accessories using vintage neckties, beads, and buttons. I have been making these particular items for a couple of months now, but I have always been crafty. When I was a child, I crocheted hair scrunchies and made barrettes and jewelry from these plastic pieces that you would get hot and then mold into shapes. I would also sew clothes for my Barbie dolls by hand and embroider anything I could get my hands on. In addition, I made quite a few things using plastic canvas, paper, and things I found around the house. My most memorable project consisted of making a pair of "headphones" from a styrofoam Hardee's hot dog tray, some twist ties, and a bunch of beans. I would bop around the house pretending to listen to music. Hey, I was eight. You could say the craft bug bit early. I tend to craft in whatever way interests me in the moment. Right now, it's the hair clips.

2. How did you get started?

After my baby started to pull my long, curly hair like crazy, I went to the salon to get it cut. While I had asked for my hair to be shoulder-length, I wound up with a Victoria Beckham-style bob. Now, that might be fine for some women, but it was not what I wanted and I found that I couldn't do much with it. So, being the crafty lady that I am, I decided that I would make my own hair clips to accentuate my style. Given that I did not own a working sewing machine at the time, hand sewing was a necessity. Using my husband's grandfather's ties came a few days after the initial idea, when I could not find suitable fabric in my one local fabric store.

3. What is your inspiration?

When I made my first tattie, my inspiration was the flowers that hula girls often wear in their hair. The flowers are fun and flirty and I wanted a way to bring that feeling into my everyday life. Being a new mom, I definitely needed to rediscover my inner flirt!Now, my inspiration comes from the material itself. I keep my box of ties out at all times and enjoy mixing and matching patterns in unique ways. I hope to soon have some more of these mixed-up creations listed in my shop. Sometimes, I will pull out a button that I want to use and find fabric that suits it just fine. Other times, I will start with the tie and build from there. Quite often, the piece turns out very different from how I imagined it, but that's part of the fun for me.

4. How long have you been on Etsy?
I joined Etsy in July 2009 with the goal of opening my shop, TattieTats, by July 15, 2009. I am happy to say that I met that goal a day early.

5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
You know, I'm really not sure. I try to take things a day at a time, because only God knows what tomorrow will bring. However, I would like to still be a work-at-home mom. My son will be 13 and my daughter will be almost 5 at that point. Perhaps I will be in school finishing up my bachelor's, perhaps not. I would like to have expanded my product line to include home goods, or have opened another successful Etsy shop consisting of linens and things. I have lots of ideas in this regard. I would also like to be a regular on the local craft show and festival circuit.

6. What is the most challenging thing about having an online business?

Getting the word out and converting visitors to buyers has been the most time consuming aspect of setting up shop. Also, having confidence that people will like my product.

7. What is the most rewarding thing about having an online business?

My first sale was the most exciting moment so far. Also, though, having the hope that I can help my husband support our family while still staying at home.

8. How does your internet business fit into your life? Is it your job or do you have another job as well?

First and foremost, I am a mom to two wonderful children. I also volunteer quite a bit of time as a Boy Scout leader. Admittedly, my business has taken a lot of my time this past month, but finding a good balance is always the key.

9. When you are not crafting, how do you spend your time?

I spend time with my husband and kids. I also spend a lot of time with Cub Scouts and other Boy Scout leaders. I am the Camp and Outdoor Promotion Chair for my local Boy Scouts of America district. This fits well with my family because we do a lot of outdoor activities anyway. I started a vegetable garden this year, which my husband has thankfully taken over, since I have the black thumb of death. Let's see... I also like reading novels and taking long walks on the beach, LOL.

10. Are there any links you’d like to share?

You can find my one of a kind hair accessories at http://www.tattietats.etsy.com/.



11. Where do I see my shop in one year?

I want to meet many new friends and have lots of return customers. I hope to have increased my exposure to the point at which I have to visit the post office every day, but even two or three times a week would be super. I also want to have enough profit to be able to invest in the supplies needed to attend a local craft show or two in Fall 2010

5 comments:

Theresa said...

YAY Tattie! you're such a sweetie, and I'm glad I got to read a little more about you! Robyn did a great job writing it, and you did a wonderful job letting us know who you really are. I wish you HUGE success, and may all your dreams come true. :)

nomadcraftsetc said...

This is really awesome!

MrsHull said...

Robyn, thanks for featuring me today! It looks great.

Mich, thank you for your kind words. =)

Beadworks By Kerri said...

What a great way to recycle old neckties!!!

Jessica N. said...

Fabulously gorgeous! Tattie does amazing work!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails