BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lessons Learned

This is a photo of my prayer flags hanging on my porch. They are one of the first things to go up each time I move.

Yesterday, an amazing thing happened in my life. There was drama (not that unusual, really), and someone who I love very much lashed out at me and called me some names. I have not been the target of an attack like this for a very long time. My initial reaction was tears, and anger. But I was at work, so no tears.

Then, a calmness washed over me and I knew there would be no retalliation, no talk with this person about it. I knew what this person said was out of being hurt, and upset. It had nothing to do with me, I was just a convenient target.

This calmness was new to me. Like I said, something like this had not happened for a very long time, and an old, emotional me would have milked this for all it was worth. I would have attacked back, and I would have gone for blood. Things would have been blown way out of proportion. And everything would have gotten quite ugly.

I am no longer that person. I don't go for blood. I issue bandaids when I can, or look away from a tantrum to not fuel the fire.

There was, however, one sliver of what this person said that got under my skin. It festered and pained me like a sliver. I could feel it, and I needed to deal with it. I talked with my best friend online, and she helped me extract it. It no longer pains me and I see it for what it is.

Words can hurt... 2 things I learned yesterday: you don't have to let them hurt you, and you don't have to participate in the games people play.

Life is pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You really are amazing Robyn. Willingness to learn is one of your greatest gifts, but even more-so than that is your ability to realize what you have learned and pass it along. Hugs and smiles to you always!

KanYoFuse said...

Great post Robyn. Hope today is going better for you.

Theresa said...

Good girl! I'm so proud of you, and happy that you are able to learn from your experiences. There are many things that happen in life, and if we don't take the time to evaluate them, we might just be missing out on an important life lesson. You are my sunshine, and I am thrilled that you came out of that encounter still shining!

*hugs*

Related Posts with Thumbnails